Labels

canal (6) heroines (22) memoir (12) poems (3) time to go (2) walking (22)

This Blog's Focus, or lack there of

Edith Wharton said "There are two ways of spreading light ...To be the candle, or the mirror that reflects it." That's what this blog is about, how the light of other people and the world around me have reflected off and in me. . .or other things when I need to write about other things, like walking, lizards, or fruit. There will be pictures of plants. All pictures are taken by me, unless noted.

I say what's on my mind, when it's there, and try to only upload posts that won't hurt or offend readers. However, readers may feel hurt or offended despite my good intentions. Blog-reading is a matter of free choice, that's what I have come to love about it, so if you are not pleased, surf on and/or leave a comment. I welcome any and all kind-hearted commentary.

It's 2012 and my current obsessions are writing and walking, sometimes at the same time. And books. I'm increasingly fascinated by how ebooks are transforming the physical book, forcing it to do more than provide printed words on a page.

Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Rejection

Just rejected from an artist in residence program. Here are a few of the hateful responses to my work:
"shining credentials!  what an honor it would be to have her in the
program!"
"love this work"

What?

It is possible to be loved and still not chosen.

I can't lie. . .really, it's some brain wiring that makes me not able to lie. . .or at least not able to lie very well. So I can't lie, rejection sucks, but not as much as I expect it to before it happens. Fear of rejection drove me to do my stupider things when I was younger: fawn after people, not boys anymore, but not yet men, trying to convince them to love me. Then once I had the l'homme du jour (and hence no more fear of rejection) I'd have that Hallelujah moment, like when the blind suddenly can see, and realize my object of pursuit was a jerk and I'd dump him. And once again I was unscathed by rejection.

Now I don't chase love, but I dangle myself out there from time to time as a writer/artist/photographer. Fear of rejection still keeps me from being in perpetual launch mode, but I've also come to realize that being rejected won't kill me. Of course submitting creative work for review is a more detached experience than trying to be young and loved. Thank God. Here's how I court creative recognition: I find a perspective venue, create a submission, and send it on its merry way. It's how I imagine answering classifieds might be, without the bewildering acronyms. Then I try to pretend I didn't submit and go about my life. Then, I eventually get accepted, and it's like getting an e-gift from Amazon, or I get rejected, and it's more like a doctor office call back for abnormal lab results.

Today I got the call back, but I'll live, at home, all next summer, instead of in some other exotic place. Luckily, I like my home and I can still write and hold a camera. My hands didn't reject me.

No comments: