Labels

canal (6) heroines (22) memoir (12) poems (3) time to go (2) walking (22)

This Blog's Focus, or lack there of

Edith Wharton said "There are two ways of spreading light ...To be the candle, or the mirror that reflects it." That's what this blog is about, how the light of other people and the world around me have reflected off and in me. . .or other things when I need to write about other things, like walking, lizards, or fruit. There will be pictures of plants. All pictures are taken by me, unless noted.

I say what's on my mind, when it's there, and try to only upload posts that won't hurt or offend readers. However, readers may feel hurt or offended despite my good intentions. Blog-reading is a matter of free choice, that's what I have come to love about it, so if you are not pleased, surf on and/or leave a comment. I welcome any and all kind-hearted commentary.

It's 2012 and my current obsessions are writing and walking, sometimes at the same time. And books. I'm increasingly fascinated by how ebooks are transforming the physical book, forcing it to do more than provide printed words on a page.

Sunday, July 11, 2010

How to Live in the Desert

After living in a desert for nearly twenty years, I've learned a few survival tips, but this one is the most useful and effective in keeping me alive: follow smart critters north. Long before air conditioning, cheapish hydroelectric power, and couch potatoism, people who inhabited the desert regions of the world were migratory. They followed the smart critters north to cooler climes. When I first moved to the desert, I was told by the man who convinced me to leave the coast (yes love makes you do crazy things) that I would eventually get used to the summer heat. For the sake of love, he lied and, for the sake of love, I believed him. But after a few seasons of triple digit heat, love wasn't enough to maintain this delusion. I started to pay attention to what people who had lived in the desert for generations did in the summer and discovered they were all semi-migratory. Since then I have also become semi-migratory.

In a perfect world, my family and I would close down our desert home in early June and travel north to our cabin in the woods and stay there until August. But we don't have a cabin in the woods. So we rent one for as long as we can afford: four days. The rest of the summer we either look forward to our four-day jaunt or try to hang onto the memory of it. We just returned from our escape from the heat. It's 109 degrees and this is the last time, I hope, that I will ever have to endure the mind-numbing buzz of vuvuzelas as the World Cup final game plays on the television. I'm sweating and trying to hold onto the cool feeling of creek water on my feet, the gurgling sounds of the stream, the calming effect of having green all around me, the presence of butterflies. . .

No comments: