Labels

canal (6) heroines (22) memoir (12) poems (3) time to go (2) walking (22)

This Blog's Focus, or lack there of

Edith Wharton said "There are two ways of spreading light ...To be the candle, or the mirror that reflects it." That's what this blog is about, how the light of other people and the world around me have reflected off and in me. . .or other things when I need to write about other things, like walking, lizards, or fruit. There will be pictures of plants. All pictures are taken by me, unless noted.

I say what's on my mind, when it's there, and try to only upload posts that won't hurt or offend readers. However, readers may feel hurt or offended despite my good intentions. Blog-reading is a matter of free choice, that's what I have come to love about it, so if you are not pleased, surf on and/or leave a comment. I welcome any and all kind-hearted commentary.

It's 2012 and my current obsessions are writing and walking, sometimes at the same time. And books. I'm increasingly fascinated by how ebooks are transforming the physical book, forcing it to do more than provide printed words on a page.

Wednesday, December 22, 2010

The Pros and Cons of Being a Recluse

On the up side, there is ample time to groom the cat. And there are all those books to be read. And the knitting. Here is my latest project (note the holiday pencil added for scale).

But then there is all that time to think. I know I'm shrinking into my little world of one when I wake up thinking about things that make me feel like pulling the pillow over my head and going back to sleep. Take this morning for instance. It's a lovely winter morning, birds are flittering in the tree in the backyard. The tree I can now see through my new sliding glass door. The polydactyl cat is eying the birds from the end of my bed. It's Wednesday and I don't have to go to work. . .until January. And yet.

And yet, I open up the day with thoughts about my mother. Why did she send me an e-note to" take a look" at her new family tree on Ancestry.com, if I'm not on it? Why, then, send me one of those mass-mailing holiday letters (the kind that tells all the people you don't care about what the people you do care about have been up to all year), again noting the family tree? And why does any of this surprise and bother me?

So I get up, brew coffee, ponder my options. Return to bed and wallow in the sad reminder that my mother seems vested in creating a reality in which I was never born. Or, return to bed and watch, through the new sliding glass door (yes, this is my favorite home improvement), my twelve-year-old border collie sneak about the yard eating poop.

Whatever the choice, going back to bed is the obvious first move. I crawl back under the covers, turn on the laptop and lo! Someone wants to friend me on Facebook. I have an e-vite to a holiday party. And a comment on my blog. And look, the border collie is rolling with blissful abandon on a turd. Life is full of magic after all. So, suck it Mom.

Here's my reality. Being happy in the winter requires me to redirect my thoughts constantly. It's like driving an old car with faulty alignment, the kind that wants to veer off the road into a ditch, so to keep straight you have to fight it. My brain is an old mis-aligned jalopy, especially in winter. And yet. . . I'm still on the road.

1 comment:

Noan said...

I know, I know, I know exactly what you mean - the crazy mom stuff, the weather stuff (you winter, me summer), and my on-going need to question thoughts that point me away from the peace of the present moment. I sure hope you signed up for the spring session of MWW. Happy New Year!