Labels

canal (6) heroines (22) memoir (12) poems (3) time to go (2) walking (22)

This Blog's Focus, or lack there of

Edith Wharton said "There are two ways of spreading light ...To be the candle, or the mirror that reflects it." That's what this blog is about, how the light of other people and the world around me have reflected off and in me. . .or other things when I need to write about other things, like walking, lizards, or fruit. There will be pictures of plants. All pictures are taken by me, unless noted.

I say what's on my mind, when it's there, and try to only upload posts that won't hurt or offend readers. However, readers may feel hurt or offended despite my good intentions. Blog-reading is a matter of free choice, that's what I have come to love about it, so if you are not pleased, surf on and/or leave a comment. I welcome any and all kind-hearted commentary.

It's 2012 and my current obsessions are writing and walking, sometimes at the same time. And books. I'm increasingly fascinated by how ebooks are transforming the physical book, forcing it to do more than provide printed words on a page.

Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Addendum to the Flood

Okay, so I wasn't completely right about my trunk being full of old school notes. While the trunk dried out in the carport, I filtered through the stacks of papers and, besides being reminded that I rewrote all my lecture notes, I found a notebook marked "engineering 4." Now I have periodically reshuffled these papers for the past thirty years and have always assumed that this little narrow-ruled notebook contained notes from the one engineering class I took in college (taught by a turdish man who would never looked at me when I came up to ask questions yet joked with any of the students with penises, so I abandoned the career plan to become a bridge designer that I had entertained in my freshman year.) So, because I had no fond memories of the class, I had never opened the notebook, until the other day. It turns out I must have thought so little of turd man and his instructions for drafting bolts that I never rewrote my lecture notes. Instead I used the notebook as a journal. It's mostly filled with silly debates with myself between two boys I simultaneously loved and hated, but it was also written during my I-think-I-can-write-country-songs phase. Not being a cowboy, I didn't write about beer and dogs. No, my subject matter drew from the life experiences of an egghead dorkette. Here's my favorite (note the one-word instruction in the top left corner):
















Yes, I wrote love songs to my cat, to be sung "soulfully." And, in case you're wondering, I do not write songs for a living.

No comments: