Labels

canal (6) heroines (22) memoir (12) poems (3) time to go (2) walking (22)

This Blog's Focus, or lack there of

Edith Wharton said "There are two ways of spreading light ...To be the candle, or the mirror that reflects it." That's what this blog is about, how the light of other people and the world around me have reflected off and in me. . .or other things when I need to write about other things, like walking, lizards, or fruit. There will be pictures of plants. All pictures are taken by me, unless noted.

I say what's on my mind, when it's there, and try to only upload posts that won't hurt or offend readers. However, readers may feel hurt or offended despite my good intentions. Blog-reading is a matter of free choice, that's what I have come to love about it, so if you are not pleased, surf on and/or leave a comment. I welcome any and all kind-hearted commentary.

It's 2012 and my current obsessions are writing and walking, sometimes at the same time. And books. I'm increasingly fascinated by how ebooks are transforming the physical book, forcing it to do more than provide printed words on a page.

Monday, February 22, 2010

Post-Script to the last Post: Are You a Cat or a Dog?

While I was thinking about isometrics (people = doughnuts), it occurred to me that there is non-structural relatedness as well. I may be shaped like a doughnut, but in spirit, I am a cat. A cat and not a dog. However, I am married to a dog. My heros are both cats and dogs.

Here's the isospititual connection between me and cats. We love to sleep, especially during the day. We love seafood. Waking up is disturbing and perplexing, often requiring a huge body stretch and a good long ponder before we know where we are. We're easily distracted. Any moving object is cause for investigation. We find birds interesting. Loud sudden noises make us jump. Dogs are fun forms of entertainment for us, but can be annoying, especially if they make loud noises or wake us up too suddenly. We like to be petted and touched under the chin. Our hearing is hypersensitive. We're our own boss.

Of course, not everything is equal. I'm not partial to licking my own butt. In fact, I couldn't do it if I tried. Arthritis in my neck, an aversion to bad smells, common sense protect me from it. Also, I don't walk on all fours, hang from the curtains, or plop myself onto other people's open books. Minor differences in habits, but we are the same in spirit.

Yet I married a dog. An early riser, who can snap awake and be instantly eager for conversation. He's a working dog breed, most contented when focused on practical physical labor. Not quite a border collie, because he lacks neurosis, but highly intelligent like that breed. He likes treats as a reward for hard work and good behavior. Generally good-natured, but will fight to protect his brood. Likes to bark and occasionally growl just to remind those around him that he could kick everyone's ass, but simply chooses not to. Snores and farts in his sleep. Definitely an Alpha Dog.

Differences? Again with the butt-licking.

No comments: