Labels

canal (6) heroines (22) memoir (12) poems (3) time to go (2) walking (22)

This Blog's Focus, or lack there of

Edith Wharton said "There are two ways of spreading light ...To be the candle, or the mirror that reflects it." That's what this blog is about, how the light of other people and the world around me have reflected off and in me. . .or other things when I need to write about other things, like walking, lizards, or fruit. There will be pictures of plants. All pictures are taken by me, unless noted.

I say what's on my mind, when it's there, and try to only upload posts that won't hurt or offend readers. However, readers may feel hurt or offended despite my good intentions. Blog-reading is a matter of free choice, that's what I have come to love about it, so if you are not pleased, surf on and/or leave a comment. I welcome any and all kind-hearted commentary.

It's 2012 and my current obsessions are writing and walking, sometimes at the same time. And books. I'm increasingly fascinated by how ebooks are transforming the physical book, forcing it to do more than provide printed words on a page.

Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Oh, I Have A Choice?

Sadness and loss. That was probably the real bond with Calamity Jane. Not all the misanthropic bravado. I've picked heroes whom I either look up to or see eye-to-eye with. Calamity and I were eye-to-blurry-sad-angry-eye. How does one crawl out of protective armor and does an eye-to-eye hero help or hinder the escape?

Hinder. Here's why.

I had found someone who solved her sense of loneliness, vulnerability, and sorrow by being a bad ass. This had great appeal to me in my teens and early twenties, living on my own as I did. Back then, I never cried. I never revealed weakness or need. And I slew any and all who tried to finger their way past my defenses. I was a. . .select a metaphor:
  • Hermit crab
  • Brazil nut
  • Saguaro cactus
  • Armored knight
  • Oyster
  • Chocolate-Dipped soft-serve from DQ
  • Cowgirl with a revolver and whiskey breath
Anything soft on the inside, hard on the outside. That was me.

Though not all those hard-out/soft-in possibilities are alike. Some, like hermit crabs, will die if they are separated from their outer shells for too long. Other than the occasional times they swap shells and for one split second show their pale, exoskeletonless rears dragging behind them, hermit crabs stay protected. But an armored knight can chose to shed his metal suit, set it by a walk-in fireplace in a big drafty castle and go on to live a happy life. It's a matter of choice for the knight. And the cowgirl.

No comments: