Labels

canal (6) heroines (22) memoir (12) poems (3) time to go (2) walking (22)

This Blog's Focus, or lack there of

Edith Wharton said "There are two ways of spreading light ...To be the candle, or the mirror that reflects it." That's what this blog is about, how the light of other people and the world around me have reflected off and in me. . .or other things when I need to write about other things, like walking, lizards, or fruit. There will be pictures of plants. All pictures are taken by me, unless noted.

I say what's on my mind, when it's there, and try to only upload posts that won't hurt or offend readers. However, readers may feel hurt or offended despite my good intentions. Blog-reading is a matter of free choice, that's what I have come to love about it, so if you are not pleased, surf on and/or leave a comment. I welcome any and all kind-hearted commentary.

It's 2012 and my current obsessions are writing and walking, sometimes at the same time. And books. I'm increasingly fascinated by how ebooks are transforming the physical book, forcing it to do more than provide printed words on a page.

Wednesday, August 11, 2010

For the Love of Sauntering

It seems that every effort, every action, must always present an opportunity to examine personal flaws. The flip side of flaw exposure. . .growth.

I have abandoned my pedometer ap, because it made me walk wrong. My doctor said "get more exercise" to lower my LDL cholesterol. A measurable act for a measurable problem. But, as I figured out by my reaction to walking with a pedometor ap, the one that daily declared me overweight based on my BMI, that shifts my focus away from being present on the walk to trying to up my step count, my pace, my calories burned, and on and on.

Numbers are abstract external measures, and though I love numbers, math, rational thinking. . . healing the body needs to extend beyond the measurable, the quantifiable. On my walk yesterday, I just walked and took pictures. I'm trying a new camera ap and so the pictures came out crappy for the most part (note: CameraOne ap not worth 99 cents). Walking with a camera makes me look more closely. It's an instrument that brings my focus to the present moment, no numbers, just a fresh perspective that there is beauty in my neighborhood. Here are some that came out okay. My neighborhood lacks iconic beauty. I don't live in a quaint hamlet in New England or Old England for that matter. My neighborhood is part of a huge sprawling 20th-century metropolis, laying on the desert like a big-footed teenaged boy plops himself on a couch. But what we have here that gets lost in trees and green hills of more compact romantic landscapes is sky. The sky is my surrogate Pacific Ocean, a vast blue that can stretch to the far horizon. When I'm feeling sorry for myself because I don't live at Baggins End in a hobbit hole, I pay attention to the sky.

Yesterday the canal water was running high and the park had been flooded for irrigation, so I could see the reflected sky. Like a Claude Glass, the reflection softens the view and allowed me to crop out alley trash and other scrappy bits of my neighborhood.

No comments: