Labels

canal (6) heroines (22) memoir (12) poems (3) time to go (2) walking (22)

This Blog's Focus, or lack there of

Edith Wharton said "There are two ways of spreading light ...To be the candle, or the mirror that reflects it." That's what this blog is about, how the light of other people and the world around me have reflected off and in me. . .or other things when I need to write about other things, like walking, lizards, or fruit. There will be pictures of plants. All pictures are taken by me, unless noted.

I say what's on my mind, when it's there, and try to only upload posts that won't hurt or offend readers. However, readers may feel hurt or offended despite my good intentions. Blog-reading is a matter of free choice, that's what I have come to love about it, so if you are not pleased, surf on and/or leave a comment. I welcome any and all kind-hearted commentary.

It's 2012 and my current obsessions are writing and walking, sometimes at the same time. And books. I'm increasingly fascinated by how ebooks are transforming the physical book, forcing it to do more than provide printed words on a page.

Monday, August 2, 2010

A Post for my Woman Hero Topic

Getting back for a moment to the original idea I had for this blog: my woman heroes, I want to add Ariel Gore to the list. I just finished her book, How to Become a Famous Writer Before You're Dead, and loved it. I recommend it to anyone who:
  • loves to laugh
  • wants to write
  • wants to be read
  • needs a good dose of Girl Power
The book includes interviews, great advice backed up with personal experience, a funny and authentic voice, and, my favorite part, conversations between Rising Lit Star and Magnificent Meteor:

Rising Lit Star: How can I make a living from poetry?
Magnificent Meteor reveals: Print poetry on sexy T-shirts and sell them on the internet.

I'll leave you with this from chapter 16: Devlop a Superhero Alter Ego:

"When I'm trying to do something beyond my known powers and I feel wobbly or fear failure, I snap my magic gesture and my superhero alter ego emerges.
When a bout of low mama-self-esteem comes rumbling on the horizon like a thunderstorm, I repeat after Alli Crews: "Girls like me have raised presidents. We've raised messiahs and musicians, writers and settlers. Girls like me won't compromise and we won't fail." And my superhero alter ego takes control."

No comments: