Labels

canal (6) heroines (22) memoir (12) poems (3) time to go (2) walking (22)

This Blog's Focus, or lack there of

Edith Wharton said "There are two ways of spreading light ...To be the candle, or the mirror that reflects it." That's what this blog is about, how the light of other people and the world around me have reflected off and in me. . .or other things when I need to write about other things, like walking, lizards, or fruit. There will be pictures of plants. All pictures are taken by me, unless noted.

I say what's on my mind, when it's there, and try to only upload posts that won't hurt or offend readers. However, readers may feel hurt or offended despite my good intentions. Blog-reading is a matter of free choice, that's what I have come to love about it, so if you are not pleased, surf on and/or leave a comment. I welcome any and all kind-hearted commentary.

It's 2012 and my current obsessions are writing and walking, sometimes at the same time. And books. I'm increasingly fascinated by how ebooks are transforming the physical book, forcing it to do more than provide printed words on a page.

Sunday, August 15, 2010

Three Laps Around the Garden

I hear what I need to hear when I need to hear it, if I am listening. Last night I walked in the botanical gardens, during the flashlight tours, so the path was lined with docents showing families snakes, lizards and night owls. I had just participated in a one-day writing workshop with Laraine Herring and she made us breath before writing (she let us breath during writing too). Whenever I focus on breathing I realize I'm a shallow breather, so I wanted to practice deep breathing. As I walked in the garden I tried to be a deep breather, which was pleasant since the air was fragrant with creosote. Walking seems to make me listen better, and so, apparently does breathing, or at least breathing attentively, because while I'm walking and breathing I hear a docent say "Anything with an exoskeleton has to shed it if it wants to grow." She's talking about me, I thought to myself.

The docent thought she was talking about a scorpion, but the statement holds for any hard-shelled creatures, like me or my hermit crab.

When my daughter was in kindergarten she came home from a play date with a hermit crab. We went through a few small crabs with brightly painted shells before we learned enough about hermit crab natural history to keep one alive. Turns out hermit crabs breathe with gills that need moisture to function. In a desert climate they need a daily misting or they suffocate. They also need a range of shells to accommodate their eventual growth. The lone surviving crab is Crabicus and he/she (it's hard to determine gender) is at least eight years old. Crabicus sheds his (I think of him as a boy, not sure why, maybe because he's shy and pinches me) exoskeleton a few times each year. He finds a quiet corner of his crabitat and throws off all his armor, exposing the tender soft new shell. There he'll sit while his new shell hardens.

Here's the crazy part. He eats his shed skeleton. He eats it! From an ecological/sustainable point of view, this isn't so crazy, since the discarded shell is a good source of calcium. And there it is right next to him. He's too vulnerable to crawl around to the food bowl, so Crabicus eats his old self in order to make his new self stronger. There's a metaphor for personal growth there.

2 comments:

Noan said...

Oh, I think the docent was talking about me also. Elizabeth leaves for college in less than two weeks; time to shed some excoskeleton and grow I say.

The Mirror said...

Especially in this heat. My question is: do I have to put on another shell?