Labels

canal (6) heroines (22) memoir (12) poems (3) time to go (2) walking (22)

This Blog's Focus, or lack there of

Edith Wharton said "There are two ways of spreading light ...To be the candle, or the mirror that reflects it." That's what this blog is about, how the light of other people and the world around me have reflected off and in me. . .or other things when I need to write about other things, like walking, lizards, or fruit. There will be pictures of plants. All pictures are taken by me, unless noted.

I say what's on my mind, when it's there, and try to only upload posts that won't hurt or offend readers. However, readers may feel hurt or offended despite my good intentions. Blog-reading is a matter of free choice, that's what I have come to love about it, so if you are not pleased, surf on and/or leave a comment. I welcome any and all kind-hearted commentary.

It's 2012 and my current obsessions are writing and walking, sometimes at the same time. And books. I'm increasingly fascinated by how ebooks are transforming the physical book, forcing it to do more than provide printed words on a page.

Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Google Research?

When memory fails to conjure the precise shape of a tractor I road as a child, I know I can turn to Google to help me figure out where I sat while plowing fields of Lima Beans with my dad. So I just did an image search for "Lima bean cultivation tools 1965" and wanted to share with you a taste of what came up:
  • Julia Child holding a dead naked bird with its wings spread like Jesus on the cross
  • Back end of a restored Volkswagen bus
  • Coffee table
  • Martin Luther King
  • George Bush senior
  • Mr. Potato Head (George Bush junior?)
  • Blue and white polka dot dress
  • Man's hairy chest with "do not resuscitate" tattooed on it
  • Philly cheese steak sandwich
  • Murphy's Law
  • Four soldiers posing next to bombs in Okinawa
  • and this cartoon

No comments: